Michaela Schäuble is Professor for Social Anthropology with a focus on Media Anthropology at the University of Bern (CH). She also trained as a documentary filmmaker and regularly curates film programmes for exhibitions and festivals.
From 2013 to 2014 she was lecturer at the Granada Centre for Visual Anthropology (GCVA) at Manchester University (UK) and from 2008-2013 lecturer (wissenschaftliche Mitarbeiterin) at the Institute for Social Anthropology at the University of Halle-Wittenberg (Germany). In 2009 she completed her PhD with a dissertation on nationalism, gender dynamics and the politics of commemoration in post-war Croatia. Her current research focuses on ecstatic religious cults and saint veneration in the Mediterranean. As head of the SNF Agora project “Tarantism Revisted” she, in collaboration with Anja Dreschke, uses film and photography as a research tool in investigating re-enactment and (religious) performances as sites of revitalising and negotiating tradition, heritage and cultural identity in Southern Italy.
Michaela has held research posts and fellowships at the Mahindra Humanities Center at Harvard University (2012/2013), the Institute of Advanced Studies in Bologna (2011/2012) and UCL University College London (2006/2007).
- media anthropology & audio-visual anthropology
- social memory
- space and place
- post-scocialist transformation (mainly former Yugoslavia/Balkans)
- anthropology of the Mediterranean
Michaela Schäuble (2019) Ecstasy, Choreography and Re-Enactment: Aesthetic and Political Dimensions of Filming States of Trance and Spirit Possession in Postwar Southern Italy, Visual Anthropology, 32:1, 33-55,
For a free download of the article, please click here
Im Rahmen der Programmreihe „Im Rausch der Sinne: Kino als Ekstase“ (https://www.rexbern.ch/programmreihe/im-rausch-der-sinne-kino-als-ekstase/) hält Prof. Dr. Michaela Schäuble zwei Vorträge und Filmeinführungen im Kino Rex.
Am Montag, den 13.5.2019 zum Doppelprogramm Jean Rouch: https://www.rexbern.ch/filme/doppelprogramm-jean-rouch/
Am Sonntag, den 19.5.2019 zu Maya Derens „Divine Horseman: The Living Gods of Haiti“ https://www.rexbern.ch/filme/divine-horsemen-the-living-gods-of-haiti/
New encyclopedia entry on "Visual Anthropology" published in The International Encyclopedia of Anthropology, edited by Hilary Callan.
© 2018 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. Published 2018 by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd
by Michaela Schäuble
Wiley Online Library: https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/book/10.1002/9781118924396
Current Research Project
- SNF-AGORA Project, starting 01.01.2018 "Tarantism Revisited. A collaborative crossmedia project on performance, cultural heritage and popular religion" - in cooperation with Anja Dreschke
- „Religious Rituals as Coping Strategies for Conflicts“, subproject No. 6 of the Interfaculty Research Cooperation (IRC) „Religious Conflicts and Coping Strategies“ (Main applicant: Prof. Dr. Katharina Heyden) at the University of Berne. Project lead by Prof. Dr. Michaela Schäuble, Departemnt of Social Anthropology, Prof. Dr. David Plüss, Department of Practical Theology, starting 01.03.2018
- Research platform „Auto-Bio-Graphy. Historiographic perspectives on self-testimonial in the arts“ in cooperation with Prof. Dr. Christina Thurner, Prof. Dr. Gabriele Rippl und Prof. Dr. Bénédicte Vauthier
Past Research Project
Current Book Project
“The Art of Controlled Accident”: Corporeal Cinematography in Ethnographic Films on Trance and Spirit Possession (1940s-1960s)
course reseach I
Seminar: Ecstasy and Madness
Auto_Bio_Grafie. Interdisciplinary Lecture Series
Storytelling in documentary film
Introduction to religious anthropology
Theory and History of ehtnographic films + Visionierung
Anthropologists as Novelists
Seminar: Sensory Ethnography
Exercise: Essay film and ethnographic film
Seminar: Marian Apparitions in Europe
Exercise: Film verORTen: Film as a social science research and communication method (introductory course)
Intensive Course (IP)
Exercise: Ethnography and performative practices of reeenactment
CREOLE Exchange an der UAB Barcelona